Saturday, June 1, 2013

170 Pounds Lost: Dr. Lee Coleman, Jr. Walks the Weight Off

Name: Lee R. Coleman, Jr. MD
Age: 47
Location: Miami
Before: 320lbs
After: 150lbs
What was the “turning point” that prompted you to lose weight?
Well, first of all, as a physician, it was becoming very apparent to me that I was setting a really poor example for patients by being morbidly obese myself.  As a surgical resident I had become so large that even the 3X-sized surgical scrubs were too small to wear comfortably. I had to stash scrubs that fit so that I could always have appropriate operating room attire available. The exact incident that really prompted me to start my reduction was after I went to the movies in a crowded theater. After navigating the crowded isle to the one available movie theater seat, I couldn’t fit.  When I attempted to sit down, I landed on the arm rests!  At that point I had to leave, and as I did this, I could hear people making comments and laughing.  It was a horror flick on, so it was obvious they were laughing at me!  I had hit an all-time emotional low and felt horrifically humiliated.  At that point I knew something had to change!
When did you start trying to lose weight?
The day after the movie theater incident, Feb 1, 1995. I arose from my bed and headed to my local park and commenced my first workout, which consisted of about a 50 yard walk.

READ HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment