Tuesday, December 2, 2014

BIG BLACK MALE IN AMERICA

On Being a Black Male, Six Feet Four Inches Tall, in America in 2014

BY CASSIE WRIGHT/GETTY IMAGES FOR SXSW
Just like Michael Brown, comedian and commentator W. Kamau Bell is six feet four inches tall. And he knows it.
I am afraid of the cops. Absolutely petrified of the cops. Now understand, I’ve never been arrested or held for questioning. I’ve never been told that I “fit the description.” But that doesn’t change a thing. I am afraid of cops the way that spiders are afraid of boots. You’re walking along, minding your own business, and SQUISH! You are dead. 
Simply put, I am afraid of the cops because I am black. To raise the stakes even further, I am male. And to go all in on this pot of fear, I am six foot four, and weigh 250 pounds. Michael Brown, the unarmed Missouri 18-year-old shot dead by police this summer, was also six foot four. Depending on your perspective, I could be described as a “gentle giant,” the way that teachers described  Brown. Or I could be described as a “demon,” the way that Officer Darren Wilson described Michael Brown in his grand-jury testimony. 
I don’t engage in any type of behavior that should place me in a cop’s crosshairs. I don’t live in “one of those neighborhoods,” or hang out with a “bad crowd,” (unless you count comedians). I am not involved in felonious activity. I’m not bragging. I’m just boring. But the fact that I’m not involved in any of that stuff doesn’t leave me any more confident I won’t be killed. That’s because I’ve been endowed with the triple crown of being killed for no good reason: big, black, and male.
JUST DONT RUN AROUND ROBBING STORES, ASSAULTING PEOLR AND POLICE, AND YOU'LL PROBABLY BE OK!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment