A heroic student charged at the Oregon college shooter and was shot five times as he tried to save his classmates, his family said.
Army veteran Chris Mintz, 30, was taken to hospital following the massacre.
His cousin Derek Bourgeois told DailyMail.com: ‘I was told he went after the shooter.'
‘There was no way he was going to stand around and watch something this horrific happen.’
Bourgeois, who lives in North Carolina, said no vital organs were hit when Mintz was shot multiple times and he is expected to recover after spending most of Thursday in surgery.
'The more people you kill, the more you're in the limelight': College gunman, 26, was 'filled with hate,' lived with his mother and asked if his victims were Christian in rampage that left at least ten dead
- Chris Harper-Mercer, 26, has been identified as the gunman at Umpqua Community College in Roseburg, Oregon
- Killer with British father died in gunfight with police and had four guns - three pistols and one rifle and body armor
- He killed nine and wounded at least seven, and just three days prior he had downloaded This World Surviving Sandy Hook BBC Documentary 2015 according to his profile on a website community
- Harper-Mercer said he was 'mixed race,' a 'conservative Republican,' 'not religious,' and 'living with parents'
- He celebrated Nazis and IRA online
- In August he praised TV station shooter Vester Flanagan and said killing more people meant 'more limelight'
- Harper-Mercer made his victims lie on the ground and then stand up and state their religion before shooting them in the head if they responded Christian
- He said: 'Good, you'll see God in a second'
- Do you know Chris Harper-Mercer or his family? email: firstname.lastname@example.org
The Oregon college gunman who murdered at least nine people has been named as Chris Harper-Mercer - a 26-year-old with links to Britain who celebrated other mass murderers and said: 'The more people you kill, the more you're in the limelight'.
The killer, who said he idolized the IRA and Nazis, on Thursday walked into Umpqua Community College in Roseburg wearing body armor and carrying three handguns and a rifle before shooting dead students.
Witnesses said he had made his victims stand-up at gunpoint and say if they were Christian before telling them: 'Good, you'll see God in a second' and shooting them in the head. Survivors only saved their own lives by playing dead.
After his bloody rampage was reported to police he was then killed in a gunfight with officers with one source saying: 'He appears to be an angry young man who was very filled with hate'.
His British father Ian Mercer, who lives in California, said: 'I'm just as shocked as everybody at what happened. I've just been talking to the police and the FBI. That's all the details I have right now, is what you know already.
He added: 'Obviously, it's been a devastating day. Devastating for me and my family'.
Neighbors said Harper-Mercer was a visibly ‘anxious’ and friendless loner who lived with his mother and surfed dating sites looking for love. He was often seen wearing camouflage clothing and may even have joined the U.S. Army.
Scroll down for videos
Suspect: Chris Harper-Mercer, 26, has been identified as the gunman at Umpqua Community College in Roseburg - an American with links to Britain who appeared to celebrate Nazis and the IRA
Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3256633/Shooter-Oregon-community-college-kills-people-campus.html#ixzz3nQ3IBE00
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook